Mesa Verde National Park cordially invites the public to join the Honorable John Hickenlooper, Governor of the State of Colorado and local dignitaries in a Grand Opening Ceremony for its new Visitor and Research Center (VRC). The ceremony will take place on May 23rd at 10:00 a.m. at the VRC, located just off Highway 160 before the park entrance stations. Governor Hickenlooper will be signing Senate Bill 13-270, Wildfire Preparedness and Emergency Response Funds at the conclusion of the ceremony.
Other events taking place over the Memorial Day Weekend include:
* May 24 Concert by Four Corners Community Band, 7:00 p.m., Morefield Amphitheater
* May 25 Indian Arts and Culture Festival, 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., VRC
* May 25 Rug Auction, 10:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m., Morefield Campground Store Patio
* May 25 Pueblo Indian Dances, 10:00 a.m., 1:00 p.m., 3:00 p.m., VRC
* May 26 Indian Arts and Culture Festival, 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., VRC
* May 26 Pueblo Indian Dances, 10:00 a.m., 1:00 p.m., 3:00 p.m., VRC
The VRC received the U.S. Green Building Council Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Platinum certification, the Council's highest rating for sustainable buildings.
Entrance fees to the park will be waived to help celebrate the occasion. Everyone is invited to enjoy a free visit in the park that day. Come join the celebration on Thursday, May 23 beginning at 10:00 a.m. For additional information call 970-529-4465.